Garbage bags weigh next to nothing and have tons of uses, especially in bad weather, so take a couple of extra when you go camping.
- Line regular stuff sacks with garbage bags for two layers of protection.
- Line the main compartment of your pack with a garbage bag.
- Use a garbage bag as a rain cover for your pack.
- Use a garbage bag to make a “floor” in your vestibule and keep mud and water away from your gear.
- If you’re caught in dangerous weather, use garbage bags as an extra layer, “wear” one by poking holes for your head and arms.
- Use garbage bags as a place in which to stash wet gear so that everything else doesn’t get soaked. Just don’t forget to take the stuff out when you get home.
- Use a garbage bag to collect snow you’ll melt for drinking.
- Placing a plastic garbage bag over logs in a triangle will create a wash basin.